MiP2005: Session 3
Mitochondrial Physiology Network 10.9: 33 (2005) - download pdf
Interactions of nitric oxide with mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase : a complete kinetic model requires binding to both haem and copper.
Chris E Cooper, MG Mason, MT Wilson, P Nicholls
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex, CO4 3SDQ, UK. - firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Brown GC, Cooper CE (1994) Nanomolar concentrations of nitric oxide reversibly inhibit synaptosomal cytochrome oxidase respiration by competing with oxygen at cytochrome oxidase. FEBS Lett. 356: 295-298.
2. Brookes P, Darley-Usmar VM (2002) Hypothesis: the mitochondrial NO(*) signaling pathway, and the transduction of nitrosative to oxidative cell signals: an alternative function for cytochrome c oxidase. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 32: 370-374.
3. Brown GC (1995) Nitric oxide regulates mitochondrial respiration and cell functions by inhibiting cytochrome oxidase. FEBS Lett. 369: 136-139.
4. Cooper CE, Torres J, Sharpe MA, Wilson MT (1997) Nitric oxide ejects electrons from the binuclear centre of cytochrome c oxidase by reacting with oxidised copper: a general mechanism for the interaction of copper proteins with nitric oxide? FEBS Lett. 414: 281-284.
5. Antunes F, Boveris A, Cadenas E (2004) On the mechanism and biology of cytochrome oxidase inhibition by nitric oxide. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 101: 16774-16779.